Sunday, July 19, 2009

Local Food Challenge - Day 7

Today is the last day of our local food challenge. One week.

It's been a little bit of an adventure, but nothing that's been too hard -- especially for me, as I'm just here for morale support. From what mommy & daddy say -- they think that it would be difficult to go 100% local, but as awareness grows... and as demand increases... it may become easier to get to that 100% mark. I wonder if anyone else doing the challenge hit 100%? I wonder if there are any cute girl babies around 1 - 1 1/2 years old who have taken the challenge on that would want to compare notes over a bottle one night?

I diverge.

Mommy, daddy, and I all ate the exact same breakfast. Mommy made a Spanish omelette - known as a "tortilla espanola." She used local Vidalia Onions, red potatoes from our CSA, eggs from the guy she works with who raises them here in Marietta, rosemary from the bush on the side of the house, and added tomato from our raised bed garden. It was almost 100% local. We all drank milk from Sparkman's Dairy in Moultrie, GA.

Daddy had left-over lasagna -- which was chock-full of local pasta as well as local and regional vegetables (as described Friday).

I had applesauce as a snack with fresh blackberries from the Farmer's Market and I also had yogurt today with blueberries from Byne Blueberry Farm.

Mommy, Daddy, and I went out to eat tonight to celebrate the close of the challenge. We went to a restaurant called 5 Seasons. They have an arrangement with 18 local farms to produce their vegetables and 2 farms to produce their meat. The waitress said that the vegetables were organic, although they weren't featured on the menu as such. If so... bonus!

Mommy had a roasted yellow beet and strawberry salad... and she had some of the local beef as well in a fancy corn-dog. (Really mommy & daddy try not to eat red meat, but once a month, mommy will sometimes eat it (she says it's a girl thing -- that I wouldn't understand)... and... with the local food challenge she's finding out that's all there really is available relatively easily. No poultry.) She hasn't gone to great lengths to find local poultry this week (that's more "sustainable" -- something not full of antibiotics and hormones.) But, she does see that is an opportunity for a store and/or restaurants to ask for and provide. It has to be available! She'll keep looking.

Daddy had an iceberg wedge salad (I can't imagine that was produced locally-- it's too hot here for lettuce now, as I learned earlier this year.... they say a baby's mind is like a sponge!). He also had a crab cake from the gulf. I ate off of mommy's plate -- little bits of roasted yellow beets and little bits of cornbread for dinner along with my bottle. This is the first time I have eaten beets... and... I liked them!

They both, of course, had to sample the local brews that 5 Seasons produces. Daddy had one called 7 Sisters. Mommy had one called Farmhouse Ale -- as barely visible in this sign, it looks like the Farmhouse Ale was a collaborative brewing effort with the Terrapin brewery out of Athens GA. We practiced playing "cheers" towards the end of the meal. It's something daddy started when I'm not finishing my milk. He and mommy clink glasses, say cheers, and I have to join in the fun! I think they're trying to trick me, but it's a lot of fun, so I'm not going to question it for awhile.

Well, it's been cool blogging about the journey our family has taken. I may recap the events in one succinct document.... later.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment