Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Local Food Challenge - Day 3

Sometimes mommy works from home (usually Wednesdays & Fridays). We ate breakfast together. Well, she ate breakfast. I mostly played with mine.

We had cheesy scrambled eggs with tomatoes. The eggs came from Marietta -- a few miles from our house. A guy that mommy works with raises the chickens in his back yard. I'm hoping that one day we get to go over there so that I can see them. The tomatoes came from our back yard raised bed garden. I sometimes help water them.... well, really, I play in the water while mommy and daddy water the plants.

So... I don't know if it counts today that I ate a local foods breakfast. I "wore" a local foods breakfast!

Some things were the same today:

  • Milk in my bottles from Sparkman's Dairy in Moultrie, GA
  • Yogurt with blueberries from Byne Blueberry Farm in Waynesville, GA
  • Zucchini from our CSA for lunch (with applesauce... yes - it's mixed with my zucchini. I don't know why - but I like my veggies "slimy" still... not quite onto complete solid foods yet. But applesauce?!)
  • I had a little bit of smashed potatoes (from our CSA) mixed with broccoli (from our CSA a few weeks ago which mommy steamed, froze, then defrosted tonight) I didn't finish it, though. I was "upset" at watching mommy and daddy eat their dinner -- which I didn't get ANY of. They kept telling me that I am not old enough to eat it. Whatever?!

I had to eat the "same ol stuff" while they got to eat something that looked really good.

  • Mommy & Daddy had grilled shrimp skewers tonight (gulf-coast shrimp... more local than that from Belize or Peru that was at the Seafood counter). They put cherry tomatoes on it -- two different kinds. Little yellow ones from our raised bed garden and Little red ones that came from my mommy's office.

She works at a place where they teach people about saving energy, water, and resources in their homes and buildings. They have an "Urban Garden" there. So, the red cherry tomatoes came from Southface's garden in Atlanta, GA. www.southface.org

  • Mommy had a Terrapin Sunray Wheat Beer with her meal. It says on the bottle that it's brewed with honey from the Savannah Bee Company. http://www.savannahbee.com/ Cool! I've been to Savannah before. (Daddy had heart-healthy red wine with his shrimp skewers.) They taught me how to "clink" my bottle against their glasses. They keep saying "cheers" and tell me to drink my milk. I can almost say it. "Chee" is about all I get out right now.
  • They also had balsamic marinated onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers. (Vidalia, GA for the onions, our back yard for the tomatoes, and our CSA for the cucumbers.) They tried feeding me some of that, but I'm holding out on them. I may eat it another time, just not tonight!
  • I forgot... speaking of honey... daddy drinks coffee every day. Instead of sugar, he uses local honey to sweeten his cup o' joe. He buys it at the Marietta Square Farmer's Market. http://www.mariettasquarefarmersmarket.net/

I go to school tomorrow... I bet you I'll be eating left overs. We'll see. Maybe they'll throw in something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment