Thursday, July 16, 2009

Local Food Challenge - Day 4

I tried a new food today. Since I was about 6 months old, I've been trying a new food each week. That's 10 months. About 40 different fruits and vegetables so far. There have only been a few things that I've reacted to -- basically, I break out with a rash when eating some foods. Unfortunately, one of those is a very "popular" local food: peaches. Maybe I'll try them again this month to see if I still have the same reaction as I did when I was just a little baby (a few months ago)? I'm a lot bigger now and much stronger than I was back then. A few months ago, I couldn't even walk!! (now I can run and climb a little bit)

Today, the new food that I tried was cucumber. It came from our CSA. Mommy looked up recipes and couldn't find too many. Most everything was in yogurt (which I love) or little finger sandwiches. She found a yogurt, pear, and cucumber recipe on www.wholesomebaby.com. Sounds weird, but it was actually pretty good. I ate it all.

  • For breakfast, I had some of the leftover cheesy eggs with tomato (eggs from the guy who lives near us... tomatoes from our backyard raised bed garden). I also had a little bit of the leftover french toast too from Great Harvest Bread in Duluth, GA.
  • For a snack, I had yogurt with the blueberries from Byne Blueberry Farm here in Georgia.
  • For lunch, I had potatoes from our CSA smashed with broccoli -- which came from our CSA also.






















THEN, for a late snack / early dinner, I had the yogurt mixed with pear and cucumber from our CSA. I also ate a little bit of corn on the cob that daddy grilled. (That's mommy helping me eat the corn -- which came from our CSA as well. That CSA is providing a lot of food for us. I think mommy & daddy only signed up for a "half-share" of Mr. Craig's vegetables from Resaca, GA. We'd be swimming in vegetables if they signed up for the full share!

  • Of course my daily bottles are filled with some formula and some of the local milk from Moultrie, GA!

The local foods keep coming!


  • Mommy ate some of the leftover french toast from the Great Harvest bakery for breakfast. Daddy had his organic granola made here in Marietta in his yogurt.
  • For lunch, mommy had a big serving of those marinated vegetables from last night. (Cucumbers from the CSA, Vidalia onions from Whole Foods, and Tomatoes from our raised bed garden.) She also shared a bunch of the marinated vegetables with her co-workers who all really liked them.
  • For dinner, she & daddy ate turkey burgers for dinner. (The turkeys were not local -- but they weren't able to find any local poultry on such short notice when signing up for this challenge on Saturday. They could only find local pork and beef... and really try not to eat either very often.) On the turkey burgers, daddy slathered on some Williamson Brothers BBQ sauce. That's a local restaurant that makes a whole line of sauces and seasonings for retail sale in Marietta. They sell it at the restaurant as well as across the street at Whole Foods. Supposedly that stuff is really really good. I've never tried any, though. They put some of our back-yard tomatoes on their turkey burgers too.
  • Mommy & Daddy also had for dinner some sesame & garlic green beans (from the CSA) and grilled corn on the cob (from the CSA too). They were able to finish their whole piece of corn on the cob. I only had a few bites of mine. I saw mommy cutting the corn off of the cob and putting it in a bowl. I think that the grilled corn will be on the menu tomorrow!

Today was my last day of school for the week. 3-day weekend ahead! Woo hoo!




No comments:

Post a Comment