Friday, July 17, 2009

Local Food Challenge - Day 5

I'm up way past my bedtime tonight. I was at my girlfriends' house (yes, that's plural). There are a couple of girls that live up the street -- one is 6 and one is 4 -- who I've been running around with, tumbling with, playing with. We all have a great time together. They also have a little brother, but he's just a baby. He's 5 months younger than I am and can't walk yet, so.... for now.... I'm content chasing the girls. I know he & I will be good friends sometime soon.

I am a little off-schedule all day, but I managed to get some local food into my diet. I did eat a little bit of my french toast from Good Harvest bakery in Duluth, but not much. I did drink one of my 1/2 local (Sparkman's Dairy) milk - 1/2 formula bottles. And I did have my left over corn-on-the cob from the CSA, but just the kernels mixed with summer vegetable puree for lunch. After that point, however, I missed a bottle, missed a snack somehow, and ate my 4:00 meal at 5:30~! I had the cucumber (from our CSA) mixed with yogurt and pears. That was pretty much my last meal (not including bottle) -- although I have been up for 5 more hours! As seen below... I did also munch on my taxi after lunch. Maybe that held me over for awhile?

We went down to meet Daddy for lunch today, actually. This is the first time that we've done that since he's changed jobs several months ago. We went to a restaurant that mommy & daddy like, called Muss & Turner's. It's in a town called Smyrna which isn't too far from our house. Mom ordered something off of the menu that was local -- from Riverview Farms. But- it was meat. They thought that they could get local poultry from there, but they don't have it either. We as a family are wondering why is it so hard to find "sustainably harvested" local poultry here in Georgia?!? Oooh... I'm distracted here. I saw a puppy dog. oof ooof!

Aside from mommy's lunch, they did eat a bit of local & regional foods tonight. Eggplant and green pepper from Florida. Vidalia Onion from GA, Zucchini from our CSA, tomatoes and basil from our raised bed garden. Beautiful squares of pasta from Via Elisa (http://www.viaelisa.com/). And milk / eggs from Moultrie and Marietta - respectively. By pooling all of those ingredients together -- mom whipped up a really really really really good white veggie lasagna. (Mommy & Daddy also drank some local beer with it -- mommy had a Terrapin brew from Athens and daddy had some 420 from Sweetwater brewery in Atlanta). Isn't the package for the lasagna squares pretty? Mommy said it made her feel inspired to do something unique with the lasagna tonight.


It's been a pretty busy day. We had some friends stop by as they were passing through our area from Tennessee. Susan, Chad, Hunter, Caeli, Rune, and Saber. I was stunned for awhile when they all came - as I was just waking up from my nap - but we had fun / burned a lot of energy. Then we went to our friend's house with the 2 girls and the baby boy. It's been a very social evening. Good friends, good food, good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment