Saturday, July 18, 2009

Local Food Challenge - Day 6

We didn't do as well today as we have been the rest of the week regarding eating local foods. Today is Saturday and we had a pretty busy day. Mommy went to a street clean event where they pick up trash in our neighborhood. Daddy and I walked up to the square (well, I rode -- in style of course) and we went to the farmer's market. I helped daddy out with picking up vegetables. (My stroller carried the heavy bag back home.)

We got some okra -- which I've never had, but since I like slimy vegetables.... I think I may have found my perfect match. We got more zucchini -- which are half as tall as I am; they're huge! We got more potatoes (yum) and a thing called a Patty Pan Squash which looks like a green UFO. It looks like something that I can play with! There are some new things, so looks like mommy & daddy will be experimenting this coming week with incorporating these foods into our menus.

Daddy also bought some fresh blackberries from a woman at the farmer's market that people always call "egg lady." We have bought eggs from her before, but now that mommy's co-worker has them, she's buying from him instead. The egg lady has sold us blueberries before too -- but today, it was blackberries. I was allergic to the blackberries before -- I broke out in a rash. (Raspberries used to do the same thing, but I tried them again when I was a little bit older and it worked out. Maybe the same will be true of Blackberries? I hope so.)

Mommy drove up to the farmer's market right before they closed because we ran out of locally made bread. She took me with her -- so I got to go up to the square twice! I love going to the farmer's market because I get to see puppy dogs. Oooof oof! Lots of people bring dogs. Also, we ran into a bunch of neighbors while up there. AND... I saw a choo choo train go by. It was a perfect visit.

Food-wise, I only ate snacks throughout the day because we were on the run.
  • I had some of the "egg lady" blackberries in my yogurt.
  • I had the Byne Blueberry Farm blueberries in my apple sauce mid-day.
  • I had the local CSA cucumbers in yogurt around dinner time.
  • I also had the Sparkman's Dairy local milk in my bottles morning, noon, and night.

Mommy and daddy took me across town to play with some friends. To give me some play-time, they went to go see Harry Potter. Wasn't that nice of them to set up a play-date with my friend Rune? He's older than I am, but can do some cool things. I climbed on top of a chair today all by myself to impress him and his grandpa who was watching us both. Mommy and daddy came back with their friends and we all hung out for awhile before they put me down for a nap. When I woke up, i found out that they had eaten dinner... but because they were guests at dinner and the hosts didn't know about the local food challenge, the meal was conventionally prepared - but very delicious!

  • Daddy made some home-made guacamole to take to the dinner party. Avocados aren't local, but the Serrano peppers and cilantro came from Whole Foods and were "regional" -- from Florida. The onions (instead of red) were sweet Vidalia from Georgia. The tomatoes for the dish came from our backyard garden.
  • They also brought some peach salsa -- which is their absolute favorite that they buy by the case from Whole Foods too. (It says on the bottle that it's made in Roswell, Georgia.)
I stayed up way past my bedtime last night... and tonight too. What a fun day it was.
Mommy and Daddy sometimes feel bad that they "push my limits" on keeping me up, but I really like it. I'm a social baby, so "bring it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment